Robot Mesh: VEX EDR V5 Robotics Hour of Code Tutorial
These 10 activities introduce students to Blockly programming for VEX EDR V5 robots, using an online simulation called a 'Mimic'. The programming is the same as if working with a physical robot, the only difference is whether the robot is online or sitting on the floor.
Grades 5-12, time 1 hour
Option 1: VEX EDR V5 Mimics
Quick link to the tutorial: https://www.robotmesh.com/studio/288430
Online simulated robots mimic real VEX robots, and are programmed in Blockly. There is no need to buy a VEX EDR V5 kit. The online mimic robot is pre-built for the students.
- Schools/groups that want to run a programming Hour of Code with robots and do not have enough robots to go around
- Schools/groups without VEX EDR V5 robot kits
- Outreach activity for VEX Robotics Competition teams wanting to host an Hour of Code
- Students with little or no previous programming experience
- Computer with a modern web browser (e.g. Windows 7-10, Mac OS X)
- No software or browser extensions to install!
- Will work on a Chromebook, but performance may be inadequate on very slow/inexpensive models
- Will be easier to create Blockly programs with a mouse than a touch-pad
Logging in: there is no need to sign up to Robot Mesh Studio to run the Hour of Code activities. Once a student starts their project, the system will store their work on a temporary basis. If a student or teacher wants to be able to save their projects online, they can create an account with an email address and password.
Run through the lesson: do the activities yourself before the Hour of Code, it will save you lots of time later.
Ask any questions in our Hour of Code support forum at http://www.robotmesh.com/forum/hoc
Take a look at our VEX IQ curriculum activities to build on your Hour of Code learning more about robot movements, sensors and programming: http://www.robotmesh.com/curriculum
© 2018-2019 Robot Mesh. All Rights Reserved