Robot Mesh: VEX EDR Robotics Hour of Code Tutorial
These 11 activities introduce students to Blockly programming for VEX EDR robots, using an online "mimic." The programming is the same, the only difference is whether the robot is online or sitting on the floor.
Grades 6-12, time 1 hour
Option 1: VEX EDR Mimics
Quick link to tutorial: http://www.robotmesh.com/hoc2017
Online robots mimic real VEX robots, and are programmed in Blockly. There is no need to buy a VEX EDR kit. The online mimic robot is pre-built for the students.
- Schools/groups that want to run a programming Hour of Code with robots and do not have enough robots to go around
- Schools/groups without VEX EDR robot kits
- Outreach activity for VEX Robotics Competition teams wanting to host an Hour of Code
- Students with little or no previous programming experience
- Computer with a modern web browser (e.g. Windows 7-10, Mac OS X)
- No software or browser extensions to install!
- Will work on a Chromebook, but performance may be inadequate on very slow/inexpensive models
- Will be easier to create Blockly programs with a mouse than a touch-pad
Logging in: there is no need to sign up to Robot Mesh Studio to run the Hour of Code activities. Once a student starts their project, the system will store their work on a temporary basis. If a student or teacher wants to be able to save their projects online, they can create an account with a email address and password.
Run through the lesson: do the activities yourself before the Hour of Code, it will save you lots of time later.
Ask any questions in our Hour of Code support forum at http://www.robotmesh.com/forum/hoc
Take a look at our VEX IQ curriculum activities to build on your Hour of Code learning more about robot movements, sensors and programming: http://www.robotmesh.com/curriculum
© 2017-2018 Robot Mesh. All Rights Reserved